Week 17 Match Reports

Ladies 1s

A top 2 finish in Division 2NW is now in Newmarket Ladies 1s own hands after a strong defensive display against top of the table Kettering 1s allowed them to come away with a vital 1v0 win. Kettering dominated the first half with Newmarket’s back line under an intensive examination from the Kettering attack. Newmarket were however able to release the pressure as the half progressed with several counter attacks. With additional belief garnered from their first half showing Newmarket pushed Kettering back in the second half and a quick attack from Newmarket was crowned when Maisy Swann slid the ball past the Kettering keeper. Kettering responded to this with more pressure on the Newmarket goal and with one final chance from a short corner awarded on the final whistle, Newmarket had Claire McDonnell to thank for a timely goal line clearance. Having played the top 2 teams in the last 3 weeks, Newmarket will hope for a slightly easier time when they host relegation fighting Bourne Deeping 1s next week.

Ladies 2s

After last weeks slip up against Cambridge City, Newmarket 2s returned to winning ways with a scrappy 2v1 victory against March Town 1s. March were the better side for much of the first half and took the lead before Newmarket equalised against the run of play through Robyn Kennedy. Newmarket perked up a little in the second half but were still below their best, but Newmarket are top because they know how to win and a short corner strike from Lydia Evans gave them a 2v1 victory. Newmarket will look to refind their mojo when they travel to Cambridge Nomads 2s.

Ladies 3s.

Newmarket travelled to Long Sutton with only 10 available players, starting with only 9 due to illness. With man of the match Jo Wright stepping into goal to make her debut for Newmarket and only 8 fit outfielders, Newmarket could have been expected to struggle but whilst they were vulnerable to the counterattack the opted to take the game to Long Sutton. With numbers up to 10 for the second half, Newmarket were unlucky not to score on several occasions and even had the ball in the back of the net through Vicky Benedikz, only for it to be ruled out for the slightest of foot fouls. At the other end Long Sutton found Wright in imposing form and were unable to find a way past. At the final whistle Newmarket celebrated the result like a victory, 0v0 away from home with no more than 10 players for the entire game was a remarkable achievement. Next up Newmarket will host free scoring Cambridge University, when a full squad will be a must.

Mens 1s

Newmarket Men’s 1s hosted Bury 2s in a keenly contested match that could have seen either team win. Former Newmarket player Mike Skelton gave Bury the lead as Newmarket began slowly before two more goals seemed to have wrapped the game up after 20 mins for Bury. A Will Wilson penalty stroke gave Newmarket belief only for Bury to strike again. Newmarket are not a side to throw in the towel and Josh Dawson made it 2v4 at the break.

Captain Simon Donald reduced the arears to a single goal with Newmarket’s slick short corner routine again paying dividends early in the second half and both teams enjoyed periods of control and chances as the game remained in the balance. Bury extended their lead once again to 2 goals only for Josh Dawson to set up an exciting finish slipping the ball in at the back post, with 10 minutes to go. Despite chances for both teams Bury held on for a 5v4 win. Newmarket will next travel to table toppers Ipswich 2s hoping to derail their promotion push.

Mens 2s

Newmarket Mens 2s should have been out of sight of by half time in their game against Dereham 3s, but a shortage of available strikers was to prove costly. Stand in striker, Mens 3s keeper, John Benedikz spurned a hattrick of chances through out the half and a clear penalty stroke was not seen by the umpires. Dereham’s tactics of big hits from the back starkly contrasted with Newmarket’s more refined build up play, but it was Dereham who took the lead early in the second half. As the game wore on it looked increasingly like an undeserved defeat was on the cards, but with only two minutes left on the clock the slightest of deflections from Peter Terrett was enough to wrong foot the Dereham keeper and salvage a creditable draw for the 2s. Next up a trip to Watton 1s for the 2s.

Mens 3s

Newmarket Men’s 3s never got to grips with an absolute trampoline of a pitch at Harleston Magpies 6s, which gave their opposition a true home advantage. However stoic defending kept Harleston out until the final 5 minutes when Newmarket’s fatigue allowed a Harleston player to fire home unmarked. Whilst a draw would probably have been fairer, Newmarket will hopefully learn from the result when they host Felixstowe 3s next week.