Week 19 Match Reports

Photo: Michael Bennett

Newmarket Ladies 1s made the most of St Ives 1s slipping up against Cambridge South 2s, by beating bottom of the table Cambridge Nomads 1s to move up into 2nd place in Div 2NW. Jess Griffiths, in her last game of the season, gave them the perfect start scoring twice in the first 20 minutes. After this the game settled down into a mostly even affair with the two clubs trading 3 goals each thanks to strikes from Charlotte Redden, Claire McDonnell and Jess Richardson for Newmarket and a hat trick for Nomads’ Charlotte Argue. Newmarket put the game to bed on 60 minutes when Ellie Chapman pounced from a short corner, to score her first ever goal for the club and Newmarket’s sixth. Next up Newmarket host in form Cambridge South 2s, who themselves are looking to put themselves amongst the promotion candidates with a late run.

Newmarket Ladies 2s have secured a top 2 finish in Div 4NW after brushing aside Cambridge South 5s 6v1. Sophie Robins scored 4 with Dani Kilsby-Steele and Katie Barrett also contributing to the rout. The result leaves Newmarket top of 4NW with only 2 games remaining, knowing a win next week at St Neots 3s will leave the chasing pack needing a miracle to catch them.

Photo: Michael Bennett

Newmarket Mens 1s slipped to a 4v1 defeat at the hands of a fast and well drilled Sudbury 1s.  Newmarket found themselves 1 behind at the break after an evenly fought first half, but got of to the worst possible start in the second when Sudbury doubled their lead. Newmarket them brought themselves back into the game when captain Simon Donald scored his customary finish from a short corner, but Sudbury responded with two of their own as the game wore on. Newmarket next travel to UEA 2s.

Newmarket Men’s 2s produced another excellent performance in drawing away at Colchester 3s. Peter Terrett gave them the lead midway through the first half, when bursting into the Colchester D and smashing the ball home. A shortage of substitutes eventually led to Colchesters equaliser midway through the second half, but with time running out both sides missed opportunities to win it. Next up for Newmarket, 3rd place Ipswich 3s.

Newmarket M3 produced a blip in the road for top spot Sudbury 1s, pulling off a surprising 2v2 draw. Sudbury dominated the opening exchanges, but were unable to find a way past the Newmarket keeper, until a Newmarket defender was unlucky to deflect a cross into the bottom corner of his own net. Sudbury looked to extend their lead after being awarded a penalty stroke, but found keeper John Benedikz up to the task of keeping them out. This proved only a brief reprieve for Newmarket as Sudbury dispatched an excellent short corner 5 minutes later to go 2 ahead. At this point heads could have gone down in the Newmarket camp, but they kept picking away at Sudbury and pulled a goal back minutes before half time thanks to a Peter Booth short corner. Sudbury’s legs tired as the match progressed and youngsters Tim Waterson, Jude Plumb, Liam Mitchell came more into the game as they had more time on the ball. Newmarket’s equaliser came after an attack down their right wing was met by Mark Pears who slammed in a shot across the face of goal from a narrow angle, Another youngster Hugh Griffths was more than worthy of his man of match award after an outstanding display of defensive work and link play over the course of the whole 70 minutes. Next up Newmarket face Colchester 4s.